Wednesday, September 8, 2010

He walked to the cot!


Let me start this post by saying I'm sorry. I know I have not posted anything in a while. I have not had much to write about.

Tonight we were dispatched to a patient not breathing, while enroute dispatch advised us CPR in progress. We arrive to find a 28 year old male laying on the floor, pulseless, and not breathing. He was ash in color and looked dead. The police officers on scene were doing CPR when we arrived. I told the officers to stop CPR. I checked for breathing and pulse and found neither. My partner was getting ready with the BVM and O2. I started chest compressions, my compressions were much deeper and well timed than the officers were. On my third compression the patient opened his eyes and looked at me and his color started to return. Before I could complete the next compression the patient was talking to me. We put him on O2 via nonrebreather mask at 15 liters per min. Then we put the heart monitor on him and it was showing a sinus tachycardia rhythm. This is a normal rhythm, but not for some one that was dead 30 seconds earlier. He was able to stand up and walk the two steps to our cot. We got him in the rig and started an IV. He was transported to the hospital without any problem.

This is maybe my 4th CPR save in an over ten year career. I have had another CPR save walk out of the hospital, but this is the first time I have ever had one that could walk into the hospital. It was very cool and I am geeked again about what I do! JS

3 comments:

Rudee said...

Now that's a great story! Congratulations on an excellent save!

Technical Rescue Equipment said...

Excellent story about how the right skill set can mean the difference between life and death.

emsbear said...

Holy crap buddy! That's one freaking amazing save!